June 2nd was a bittersweet day, filled with laughter and tears, songs and reminiscing, hugs and more hugs. The crowd that gathered to honor retiring Founder and Head Teacher, Charlotte Zinsser Booth, included parents and a teacher from the very first year of North Branch School’s existence; many alums, former families and staff; current staff, students and their families; and even a prospective family! We gathered at 2:00 – well, 2ish in the traditional NBS way – for a presentation that included:
- “Hot Cross Buns,” the proud first song every NBS student learns on the recorder,
- North Branch’s version of “Simple Gifts” sung by all,
- Natalie Merchant’s “Kind and Generous” performed by Katrien Vance, Jen Tal, and Michael Donegan,
- Katrien, Maya Parker, Bella Skaggs, and Maggie Davis sang “Know” by Emil Adler & Julie Flanders,
- Charlotte was presented with a dogwood tree and a Founder’s portrait (photo by Stephanie Gross),
- Charlotte’s moment to speak was a fabulous NBS rewrite of Bob Marley’s “Three Little Birds”,
- Holly Allen left no eye dry with her rendition of “Last Song” by Julie Miller,
- and the presentation ended with all gathered singing”Dona Nobis Pacem” and cake!
Thank you, Charlotte, for 36 years of vision, dedication, and tireless devotion to creating a warm, welcoming haven where children learn to love learning!