Virtual BandFair – May 12, 2021, 3:00 – 7:30 PM
Check this site and the NBS Facebook page for great music, a surprise performance, and more!
Please consider a contribution to North Branch School during what is typically the school’s biggest fundraiser of the year. Either use the “Make a Donation” button on the right to make a secure PayPal donation (PayPal account is not needed) or send a check to NBS, 221 Mickens Road, Afton, VA 22920. Thank you! Suggested donations: $12 (price of individual BandFair ticket), $36 (price of family BandFair ticket), $100-$500 (cost of varying levels of premier sponsorships.)
- First up is an original song composed by NBS parent and musician extraordinaire, Andy Waldeck, for Virtual BandFair 2020. Everyone loved it so much last year, that we are kicking things off with it this year. Enjoy!
- A BandFair MadLib completed by the Primary Blue & Primary Yellow classes. Words in BOLD are the students’ additions: Music is the language of SKIPPING and makes the BRAIN soar. Who doesn’t like listening to bands like The Rolling CATS, ONE HUNDRED & THREE Pilots, Imagine DOGS, Panic at the WINDOW, or artists such as Taylor SPEEDY, Ariana SMALL, Bruno EARTH, and Lil HERCULES? Making music is fun too. North Branch students might play the SAXOPHONE while singing, march to the beat of the BOOK or strum a GOLDEN SNITCH. Best of all is the opportunity to create special choreography. Students leap as high as LEBRON, twirl as fast a WOLF, spin on their ELBOWS, and follow the caller’s directions during a TRIANGLE dance. So, go ahead, turn the speakers up to 1,001 and enjoy BandFair, perhaps with a cup of PINK LEMONADE while snacking on FOOTBALL CAKE.
- Local singer/songwriter Alice Clair attended NBS for her early education and has been giving back ever since. Here’s a link to her video for an original song entitled “Keep Talking.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UisfPrg-XRU
- NBS alum, musician and flute maker Aaron Olwell ’96 plays multiple instruments, sometimes at the same time! Check out this double clarinet rendition of “Creole Love Call!” Oh and by the way, the made that fabulous yellow suit he is wearing!
- Olivia Coleman, daughter of North Branch’s Head of School and a sophomore at Western Albemarle High School, shares this beautiful original song called “Find A Way,” written during the pandemic.
- Anyone who has attended a school event knows how much we love to stand in a circle and hold hands. Here’s the North Branch staff’s adaptation for social distancing set to music. Keep watching until the end!
- Singer/Songwriter and parent of a North Branch alum, Holly Renee Allen, has a way of putting a lump in your throat while at the same time bringing a smile to your face. She chose to share “Bright Morning Blue,” a song she wrote for her father. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBnh-EQYMa0&t=2s
- And now here’s Matthew Olwell ’92 playing flute, accompanied by friends on guitar and beatbox, performing “The Tantrum.” There’s a lot of talent in the Olwell family! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmGhjsnVYXA
- Folk legend and good friend to NBS Bill Staines shares a song that has been sung by many North Branch students over the years. According to “FolkLife Today” of the Library of Congress it is one of the oldest folk songs in English! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXubTtFKHYE
- NBS students love when Jim Gagnon of The Dreamtime Project brings instruments like the didgeridoo to play and to let them try out! Here’s his song entitled “Whit’s Groove” from “The Great Dance.” https://soundcloud.com/dreamtimeproject/dreamtime-project-whits-groove?in=dreamtimeproject/sets/the-great-dance
- Wow! Here’s NBS alum, Daniel Dennis or as some of you might know him brother to our Early Primary teacher, Genevieve, providing some Sam Cooke for Virtual BandFair! Take a listen! https://www.facebook.com/daniel.dennis.773/videos/10158538862338208
A BIG thank you to our 2021 Virtual BandFair sponsors. You make our event possible AND you support North Branch students and teachers:
- Afton Law https://www.aftonlaw.com/
- ALC Copies http://alccopies.com/
- Creation Appreciation Landscaping, LLC http://creationappreciationlandscaping.com/
- Design Electric, Inc. https://www.designelectricinc.com/
- Miracle Homes https://www.nelsoncounty-va.gov/Organization/miracle-homes/
- Carter Montague of Montague, Miller & Company https://cmontague.montaguemiller.com/
- Duct Medic – Improve Your Air. Improve Your Life. https://ductmedic.com/about-us/locations/charlottesville/
- Mountain Area Nest Realty https://www.mountainarearealty.com/
- Nelson Food Market https://www.nelsoncounty-va.gov/Organization/nelson-food-mart/
- Shady’s Place https://www.nelsoncounty-va.gov/Organization/shadys-place-inc/
- SVOE https://www.svoe.net/
- Tectonics II, Ltd. https://tectonics2.com/
- Vance Intellectual Property PC https://www.vanceip.biz/
- Mark Varner, Davenport & Company LLC, 434-245-1539
- Virginia Boxwood Company http://www.virginiaboxwood.com/
- Windridge Landscaping Co., Inc. http://www.windridgelandscaping.com/
Virtual BandFair 2021 also is sponsored in honor of:
- Gus Bell
- Dylan & Sam Butler
- Daylin & Carina Crawford
- Xavier and Daisy Fish
- Amory & Margaret Harris
- Althea Hess
- Natalia & Carolina Highley
- Emma Murphy
- Indie Sunrise
- Stella & Arya Wolfe
Andy Waldeck debuted his original song, “I Love North Branch,” during Virtual BandFair 2020.